I want you to imagine sitting in your clients heart for a moment.
You've been struggling with an issue for a while internally and now it's affecting your external world. It's time to make a change.
So you get on the internet. You start googling and asking questions. Then (usually!) opening tab after tab.
What is going to make them stop at your page?
The answer is connection. People need to feel that you connect with them and their problem authentically.
So many times I read a home page that is all about the practitioner. This is what the About Page is for.
The Home page is about your client. It's you saying "I know what you're going through. It's something I feel comfortable working through with you and here's a little bit about how I'm going to do that".
For instance: The Homepage of this site reads "Becoming a practitioner and a business owner in the same breath is not always easy! There aren't many other professions which send their new graduatesout into the world of practice without established mentorship. "
What if I had of written: "The practitioner table has lots of information about starting a business as a natural therapist. I have blogs, I have mentorship and lots of free tips and tools. I've been in business for over a decade and have established a full time practice which supports my family financially."
In one, there's emotion and connection to what I, myself, have sought in the past. The other just talks.. and I'm talking all about me, you really don't care about me - you care about you! As you should!
Keep in mind a layout for yourself: 1. Why are you here? - What did you search for? What space are you in at the moment? What questions are running through your mind?
2. What is it that I can help you with? Is it a comfortable space to talk? Is it answers to questions? Is it a place to talk about all aspects of life? Is it relief of physical pain/discomfort?
3. How do I help you? What do I give that is of value to you? And what can you expect from a session with me? This is where we outline the practical, for example; if you're a naturopath - blood tests, iridology, examinations, diagnostics, advice and herbs; if you're a massage therapist - focus is on getting into the deeper muscles in a gentle way; if you're a energy worker - I feel the energy you know is there and help to release/ bring to the surface those subconscious blockages. (You'll have your own explanation!).
4. Where am I? I feel like this one is obvious!
Other points: * If you get stuck writing then record yourself talking. Some people need to move when they talk as well. Or ask a friend to give you a call to chat and record your answers.
* Keep the sentences and explanations short. When it's too long people will switch off.
* Use lots of key words, it's what will draw the internet traffic your way. (remember to add in SEO keywords in the back end of your site).
* Remember, if they've been referred, people will usually try and put a face and a feel to what they've been told. So you do need a picture of you.
* Don't get too technical with your chosen therapy/therapies. You can always do a "What is..." page (you may want to provide a link to this on your homepage).
Please comment with your new and updated home page link!